Monday, July 14, 2008

Online Dating

As mentioned yesterday, I cruised the wily world of Internet dating to do some research. I haven't been in the dating game in nearly 8 years. After yesterday, here's what I've discovered:

  1. I am sooooooooooo not ready to date. That should ease the minds of friends and family, some of whom seem to think that I think I, "need a man." I don't and never have which is why I've been able to live sans one for years at a time.
  2. There are a lot of weird people out there. That's a big "duh," I know. But some can't even read. If I put in 39-51 in the age group, why would you think I'd even talk to a 26 year old who's sign in name is "biker guy?" I know why and that brings me to point 3....
  3. Putting the fact that you earn a 6-figure income on your profile gets a lot of attention. I'm beginning to think that I could have 2 heads and look like a troll and there'd still be guys who say, "You're very pretty."
  4. Ever want to be truly entertained, read what some of them write. It's like they picked up the nearest romance novel and copied it. I actually saw one who said he liked long walks. I'm not trying to be catty but guys, listen up: Be genuine. Be honest. Don't prose on about how you're looking for the "right one" or "love is real," whatever. We know you're full of crap.

Anyway, I deleted the profiles after seeing that, given the pickings, I WILL become the old crazy lady with all the cats. At least they won't tell me how they'd never thought they'd feel this way....

2 comments:

KurtP said...

You don't need a six figure salery to get attention on dating sites- just the fact that you marked [F] or [F searchig for M] is enough for the emails to start.

Anonymous said...

For sure. All you really need is a headline that reads, "I have a vagina." The emails will pour in.