Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Legal Story of the Day

Since I receive an online newsletter from the ABA that usually contains interesting if not downright hilarious legal news, I thought I'd start a new feature here called, "Legal Story of the Day." Today's story is about a family court judge who was reprimanded for being sarcastic to litigants and calling one an asshole. Having been in family court, I understand where he's coming from. Here are the excerpts:

A New York state judge says he won’t fight a reprimand for speaking to litigants in a tone of voice deemed to be sarcastic, angry and scolding. He was also cited for telling staffers that a litigant was an “asshole.”

In one case, Pines told a litigant who was seeking custody while in jail that his testimony was “inane” and his interest in joint custody was “patently ridiculous.” Nonetheless, the commission found the litigant was not denied a fair trial.

In another case, both parents were in jail. Pines told the parents: “Neither one of you are in any position to take care of these children. As far as I’m concerned, you’re not in a position to take care of pets, much less children.” The parties later agreed on a custody and visitation plan.

In the third case, after the parties had left the courtroom, Pines twice called one of the litigants an “asshole” in the presence of courthouse staff. Two dissenting members of the conduct commission said the “asshole” remark should not be sanctioned since Pines was speaking in private conversation with two court staffers and disqualified himself from the case.

Personally, I think the judge ought to be commended for telling jailbird parents the truth. If we stopped being so namby-pamby to people, maybe they'd take better care of their offspring. Oh and this is why I'll never be a judge. I'd make this guy look tame.

2 comments:

Blackiswhite, Imperial Agent Provocateur said...

We could use more judges like this guy, not fewer ones.

When I was clerking, my favorite judge at the local Circuit Court had a defendant's mouth taped shut by the baliff because he would not keep his piehole shut. I LOVED it, as did most of the members of the local bar. He had a reputation for actually knowing the law and not letting a bunch of hamster slide by him. He retired shortly after the "Tape Incident", as is became known, much to the sorrow of the attorneys in my office.

Anonymous said...

You could TOTALLY be a Judge Judy type. What is it she says, "Don't piss up my skirt and tell me it's raining" or something? I can't stand her show, but I love her smackdowns.

Yeah, you'd be one of those judges who got her own t.v. show, fo' sho'!!!