Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Joys of Child Rearing, Part 1

As everyone knows, I am a parent. I am a parent to a couple of boys who have entered their teenage years. If they make it past that, it will be due to divine intervention and not due to any great skill on my part. Take, for example, today. This morning I received a phone call from the younger one's Language Arts teacher. Now, if a teacher is calling me on a Sunday morning, it can't possibly be to tell me what a stellar job he's doing.

Apparently, "Jon" as he is going by at school, has decided that doing his work, studying for tests, and being respectful to adults is optional. Of course, I confronted him on it and he starts into the, "I wanna go live with Daddy," as though he lives in a city that has different educational requirements. I explained that to him. I also explained that he could not take his animals with him. That caused him to pause for a minute.

I offered tutoring ('cause the gist is that he can't do the work so he cuts up to get out of it), workbooks, and a private school. The only thing that has peaked his interest is home schooling. Now, I'm quite capable of doing that and it's not that costly. However, will he actually learn anything? Actually, I'm certain I can teach him more than the overprice public school system he's in now. Do I have the time? Oh, I can work from home a few days a week to be certain so that may not be an issue. How do I cope with the, "That's not fair," sure to come from his brother who is at least making an effort?

Anyway, that's how my Sunday is going.

1 comment:

Blackiswhite, Imperial Agent Provocateur said...

"and she raised the yardstick above her head, like a samauri sword,and said :THE BEATINGS WILL NOW BEGIN"