Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Boss is a Dillweed, II

So Tuesday, the Bossman tells me I gotta go to this publishing company to get five maps. Not just any maps. Coastal maps of Louisiana. Really, really big maps. Okay, no problem. I go and order the maps (they are shipped out of Houston) at $395/each.

Yesterday morning, Bossman sends me an email: "How much were the maps?"
Me: "$395/each."
Him: "Wow! I wish you had run that by me first."

Then I get a call from him. "You should have called me first. You need to think. It will be difficult for me to recover those costs."

Of course, I had thought that he wanted the maps (for trial exhibits) at ALL COSTS. Not once did he say, "Find out how much they are. If they're more than $____, only get one." So after the phone call, I shoot him back the following email, "Sorry. I thought you wanted the maps regardless of cost. In future I will clarify." Then he calls me back and says we can allocate each map to a different case.

(Keep in mind, I'm an hourly employee which means this crap ain't billable.)

Late yesterday, I get another email from him: "Need sears case."

I put "Sears" into Westlaw and come up with 1100 cases.

I write him back, "What's the other party's name."
Him: "Don't know. Has to do with a hammer."

Okay, so now I have, "Sears," and "hammer." That drops me down to 30 cases. Finally, he tells me it has to do with a manufacturer and a retailer. By that time, it's after 5 and I'm done with him, Sears, and hammers.

I really need a new job.

No comments: