Thursday, November 20, 2008

Things They Should Tell You BEFORE You Become a Parent

Greetings. Those of you who have young children or are contemplating parenthood should know that for some reason, things get left out of the knowledge handed to you from family and doctors when you reproduce. Oh sure, we all know that we're not supposed to shake a baby and to get them their shots and what not. Some of them even tell us how to change a diaper and why breast feeding is better than bottle feeding. However, the advice stops at around age 6. Subsequently, these people do not bother to tell you things you will encounter when your little snowflake hits adolescence. Things like...a shitty attitude and...oh HEAD LICE.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my offspring are infested with bugs which regulates me to the role of a mother primate picking nits off her offspring (no, I don't eat them). Here's what happened. I'm on my way to work this morning when I get a call from the younger offspring. He's crying saying I have to come pick him up. I ask why. After a couple of mumbled responses, he says, "I have lice." So I go get him.

Now, I go to Wal-mart and get the Lice killing kit and proceed to wash his hair and every piece of cloth in the house. I spray bedding and wash pillows. That's all I've done all day. Then I decided I'd better go get his brother and check him. So I go to the school and ask for him then I visit the nurse who offers to check him out. He shows up, wondering what the hell is going on and I tell him his brother has lice. The nurse checks him out and he's got it too. So now he's livid at his brother ('cause he missed turkey at lunch) and won't go near him.

Just for the record, the nurse checked my head and I'm lice-free. I am happy to report that we have come along way in the treatment of lice. I told my sister about my little situation and she said that when they were all in France as children (my 5 sisters and 1 brother at the time), they got lice. The treatment: Powdering their heads with DDT and wrapping them in towels. Of course, she also told me how they used to chase the mosquito spraying truck in California which also sprayed DDT. Aaaah, the days of yesteryear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have my sympathies! Been there, done that...literally 4-5 hrs at a time picking microscopic cooties out of long blond hair...it went on for several days. Back to school, get a call, nurse saw another live one, take her home. But then she mentions oh hey, what works better than all that chemical crap is Cetaphil skin cleanser and a shower cap. TOTALLY WORKED. Buy a big bottle of Cetaphil, glob it all over their heads (it's very mild), plop on the shower caps, leave 'em on (literally) all day long. Then rinse it out and dry the hair. Now ALL the cooties are dead and the hair's so soft their little corpses have nothing to really hang onto so they just slide right out.

(And yeah, when I had it several times while spending part of my childhood living in Deep East Texas, the "cure" was having my hair washed alternately with pure vinegar and then bleach. Laundry bleach. Undiluted laundry bleach. *shudder*