Sunday, February 22, 2009

Working Like a Dog

I'm getting heartburn for not posting enough. So here's a post. As some of you know, I just launched my own firm after losing my $100k/year job without warning or a severance package. Let's face facts. I can't get hired by another firm because I'm old (hitting 42), infirmed (with rheumatoid arthritis), and a single parent. Law firms are probably the most discriminatory bastards out there so no way, no how are they hiring me when they can hire Joe Recent Grad for $30k/year.

I started picking up some family law referrals (do what you know, I say) and I've been working like a dog all week. Tomorrow, I get to go to a Temporary Order hearing in a little town about 30 miles west of here. One of those towns where the judge knows every lawyer in town and opposing counsel is one of those lawyers. These referrals are are low income ($50/hour) and I only get paid for 2 hours per client per month. Not really helping me pay bills so I need regular paying clients.

At any rate, I'll try to blog as much as I can while starting my new venture.

No comments: